Tuesday 27 March 2012

Poor Quality rootstocks



Very skinny stock, had to find an equally weedy bit of scionwood to match



Poor amount of root







Again, not much root, with nasty split at the bottom of the wood







As I left it too late to order stocks from Frank Matthews, I ended up ordering them from a new supplier, Blackmoor nurseries. I have to say I was very disappointed with the quality of the rootstocks. The pears in particular were very weedy, they only matched the width of average-sized scions within a few inches of the root, much lower than I would normally like to position a graft. One was completely dead, and a few had minimal roots. The single apple stock of m111 had barely any root, and this was also split down the middle, annoying as I really want this one to succeed as my stock tree for my new variety.

I won't be buying from them again!

No comments: